COVINGTON — Members of Newton County Senior Services will show off their dramatic and musical talents when they put on their first community play Sept. 17.
Titled "I Simply Say Thank You," the play is about the endurance of the senior set and is being put on by the Senior Services' 50-member Voices of Wisdom Choir.
The following activities and classes are offered by Newton County Senior Services. For more information, call 770-787-0038.
• Ceramics class: Monday through Wednesday. Only active members of the center may participate. Please contact the Senior Center for a schedule.
• Exercise and Strengthening Class: 10 to 11 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday
• Turner Lake Quilters: 9 to 11:30 a.m. Monday and Thursday
• Arts and crafts workshops are held quarterly. Contact the Senior Center for dates.
• Art class: 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday
• Line dancing: 1 to 2 p.m. Thursday
• Dance for Your Life Class: 1 to 2 p.m. Monday and Wednesday
• Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Workshops and Group Sessions are held once a month. Call the Senior Center for dates.
• Sewing Class: 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday
• Pinochle Club: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday
• Dominos Club: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday
• Red Hat Society Meetings: Noon to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month
• Walking Club: 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Monday
• Trips planned twice a year. Call Senior Center for dates.
• Day trips: Call Senior Center
• Library: Available for seniors who love to read. Open during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Computer classes are available quarterly, beginning in October. Evening classes are from 4 to 6 p.m. Call the center for more details.
• Nutrition classes are conducted by the University of Georgia once a month. Call the center for more details.
• Blood pressure checks are scheduled throughout the month.
• Book Club meets every third Friday of each month at 12:30 p.m.
• Pizzazz Travel Club meets every first Tuesday of the month at 4 p.m. in the Senior Center Fellowship Hall
• Group sessions and workshops are held once a month on selected topics.
• A hot lunch is provided Monday through Friday for seniors who are active in daily programs. Special meals are prepared during annual holiday luncheons and special events. Tickets can be purchased at the Senior Center front office. Home delivery meals are available for all qualified seniors who are 60 years old and live in Newton County.
• Newton County Senior Services will transport persons who are active members of the Senior Center and are enrolled in daily programs to and from the Senior Center for a nominal fee, within Newton County only.
"It's about how they came up and what they've gone through and how they're still vivacious and they can do anything anybody else can do. The only thing is, God has chosen to give them age. A lot of those in the play are 70 years or older," said Activities Director Freda Reed. "It's kind of spiritually oriented. It's going to be a nice play."
Reed said she came up with the idea for a play when she saw the talent of her choir members. Audience members will be participants in the play, she added.
Tickets for the event will go on sale Friday, Aug. 27 and seating will be limited to 200. Tickets are $10, with proceeds going to help pay the cost for recreational activities for seniors, such as exercise and dance classes. Only one grant received by Senior Services, from General Mills, helps cover those costs; all other grant money goes toward operations, Reed said.
To purchase tickets, go by the Senior Center at Turner Lake Complex, located at 6183 Turner Lake Road or see a participating senior. For more information, call 770-787-0038.