Saturday, March 7, 2009
© Copyright 2014
COVINGTON - The community is springing forward even before spring arrives as the annual switch to daylight saving time will occur Sunday at 2 a.m.
The Newton County Fire Service is reminding residents as they set their clocks forward one hour to check their smoke alarms and other safety equipment to ensure everything is in working order.
Here are some tips they offer for protecting your family from burns:
· Check the setting of your water heater and make sure it's set no higher than 120 degrees.
· Install smoke alarms on each level of your home - especially in or near sleeping areas.
· Test each smoke alarm every month by pushing the test button until you hear a loud noise.
· Replace smoke alarm batteries with new ones when the time changes.
· Know how to escape a fire. Find two exits out of every room - the door and possibly a window. Choose an outside meeting place in front of the home. Practice your plan twice a year with all members of the family.
· Stay in the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove.
· Make sure an adult is in the room constantly while a candle is burning.
· Be sure to lock matches and lighters away from children.
For more information on home safety, visit www.homesafetycouncil.org.
Barbara Knowles can be reached at email@example.com.