COVINGTON - Parents or guardians who need to register their children for kindergarten in Newton County public schools for the 2009-10 school year will be able to do so next week.
Newton County School System's annual Kindergarten Round-Up is scheduled Monday through Thursday.
Parents whose children will be 5 years old by Sept. 1 can register them at their assigned schools from
8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. during that week. Registration is open Monday at Middle Ridge, Palmer-Stone and Porterdale elementary schools; on Tuesday at East Newton, Oak Hill and Rocky Plains elementary schools; on Wednesday at Fairview (for students who will attend Live Oak Elementary School), Mansfield, Livingston and South Salem elementary schools; and on Thursday at Ficquett, Heard-Mixon and West Newton elementary schools.
For students who already are enrolled in an NCSS Pre-K program and are staying at the same school, their parents do not need to go to the Kindergarten Round-Up, according to Sherri Viniard, director of public relations at NCSS.
When registering a student, parents must bring several documents: the student's certified birth certificate and Social Security card; two medical forms, including Form 3231: Immunization record and Form 3300: Hearing, vision and dental screening record; and two proofs of residence, which include a garbage, electric, water, gas or utility bill that includes the name and address of the registrant and a current lease, rental agreement or current mortgage statement. Proof of custody or guardianship also is required for children who don't live with one or both parents.
The parent also must bring the child to the registration so school officials can conduct any hearing or vision screening tests.
Parents who cannot attended the scheduled registration days at their assigned school can attend any of the other elementary school registration periods.
For more information or questions, visit www.newtoncountyschools.org or contact the home school.
Michelle Floyd can be reached at email@example.com.
SideBar: Kindergarten registration
What: Kindergarten Round-Up
Who: Newton County students who will turn 5 years old by Sept. 1, 2009
When: 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday
· Monday - Middle Ridge, Palmer-Stone, Porterdale
· Tuesday - East Newton, Oak Hill, Rocky Plains
· Wednesday - Fairview (for Live Oak Elementary), Livingston, Mansfield, South Salem
· Thursday - Ficquett, Heard-Mixon, West Newton
More Information: www.newtoncountyschools.org or individual schools
· Student's certified birth certificate and Social Security card
· Form 3231 - Immunization Record
· Form 3300 - Hearing, vision and dental screening record
· Proof of custody or guardianship (children who don't live with one or both parents)
· Two proofs of residence: a utility bill (garbage, electric, water, gas) with the name and address of the registrant and a current lease, rental agreement or mortgage statement
Source: Newton County School System