The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Applebee's, 85-B, 1448 Dogwood Drive, Conyers. Date: June 1
Violations: Mold-like substance in ice maker. Potentially hazardous food for cold hold not held at the proper temperature. Damaged door gasket seals on reach-in coolers. Soiled door gasket seals in reach-in coolers.
· Los Charros Mexican, 99-A, 3560 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: June 2
Violations: Damaged door gasket seals.
· Waffle House, 92-A, 1100 Nortec Drive, Conyers. Date: June 2
Violations: Mold-like substance in ice maker. Improper method of cleaning table tops. Damaged door gasket seals on reach-in coolers. Soiled door gasket seals on reach-in coolers.
· Waffle House # 899, 2060 Sigman Road, Conyers. Date: June 3
Violations: No soap at handwash sink in back of store. Cold hold food on sandwich board not being held at the proper temperature. Damaged door gasket seal on reach-in cooler. Soiled area between grill and splash wall.
· Sonic Drive-In, 86-B, 1375 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Date: June 4
Violations: Mold-like substance in ice maker. Food service permit not posted in proper area as required. Soiled utensil stored as clean utensil. Ware wash sink being used for prep work. Soiled door gasket seals on reach-in cooler. Outside of equipment soiled. Faucet at prep sink could not be turned off - constant leak. Damaged floor tiles under fryers. Good general cleaning of facility needed. Observed more than five flies in establishment.
· Subway, 94-A, 1620 F Dogwood Drive, Conyers. Date: June 4
Violations: No soap in men's restroom. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another.
· Zaxby's, 87/B, 9132 MLK Jr. Avenue, Covington. Date: 05/06/09. Violations: No health policy awareness-person in charge must have health policy awareness. Employee using cans to drink in kitchen area-must use cup with lid and straw and keep out of food prep area. Coke nozzles dirty, tea nozzle dirty, slicer dirty-need to wash, rinse and sanitize items. Utensils in back not stored to protect from contamination, cups at drive thru dirty on outside (looks like splash up from tea urn-protect utensils from contamination. Not sanitizing properly/using spray bottles with towel--must use spray bottle with disposable towel using that method. Two hand sinks not sealed to wall-seal to wall. Hose end in mop sink--keep out of sink. Spray wand down in sink--keep above sink flood plain. Dirty around dumpster-clean up, doors open on dumpster-keep closed. Wet mop stored in bucket-hang up to air dry between uses.
· Nicks Restaurant (Rio Vista), 95/A, 15825 Highway 36, Covington. Date: 05/07/09. Violations: Employee drinks in food areas-keep away from food & utensils in designated areas. Dirty gaskets on coolers, cup holder tray dirty-need to clean items.
· Smileys, 79/C, 2001 Main St., Porterdale. Date: 05/07/09. Violations: No sanitizer in dishwasher & sanitizer buckets-must keep chlorine @ 50-100 PPM. Not sanitizing tables properly-must use approved methods (refer to food manual) observed one bucket of sanitizer with one cloth wiping down tables. Food not being hot held properly-must hot hold food at 135F or warmer. Cooling tomatoes in deep pan0must cool food using approved methods-refer to food manual. Heating element out on buffet--fix/replace. Rust in ice machine--60 days to fix/replace. No self closing doors at bathrooms--must have self closing doors--60 days to install self closer units--did not notice on last inspection. Roaches on dented can behind wrapping paper on outside of can--continue to treat for pest regularly.
· Oakhill Elementary School, 99/A, 6243 Highway 212, Covington. Date: 05/07/09. Violations: Plastic spatulas are cracked and broken at edges--need to replace.
·Ficquett Elementary School, 99/A, 2207 Williams St., Covington. Date: 05/08/09. Violations: Vent-a-hood has paint peeling off--paint/repair.