The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Hill Phoenix Cafeteria, 100-A, 709 Sigman Road, Conyers. Info: April 22
· Piccadilly Cafeteria, 78-C, 1536 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Info: April 22
Violations: Ice machine had mold-like substance. Items on cold hold line not holding at the proper temperature. No written records as required for procedure. Employees observed wearing jewelry while preparing food. Gaskets on reach-in cooler units in disrepair.
· Piccadilly Cafeteria - Recheck, 90-A, 1536 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Info: April 30
Violations: Employee rinsed fish in handwash sink. Dish machine not reaching proper sanitizer temperature. Dispensing utensils stored with handle in product. Dish machine not reaching sanitizer temperature.
· Nagoya Japanese Steakhouse, 98-A, 1375 Iris Drive, Conyers. Date: April 23
Violations: Utensils stored with handles in product. Damaged door gasket seals on reach-in cooler and walk-in cooler.
· Smiley's, 66-U, 2001 Main St., Porterdale. Date: April 23
Violations: Employee drinks stored next to utensils. No sanitizer in dishwasher or in bucket. Mold in ice machine. Very dirty can opener blade. Chicken not being cooked properly. Food not being cold held properly. Food not being hot held at properly. Utensils not stored inverted or covered. Employees not wearing hair restraint. Employees wearing jewelry (rings with diamonds) - can only wear plain band rings. Employee with long fingernails. Vegetable sink has raw chicken container and sanitizer bucket sitting on it. Gasket coming off at three-door cooler. Broken and cracked plastic containers. Dirty vent cover over top of Vent-A-Hood. Purse next to utensils. Back screen door does not seal properly. Roaches and crickets in reach-in cooler door gasket. More roaches and pests under three-door cooler. Remember to wash hands before putting on gloves to work with food.
· Waffle House, 97-A, 12985 Brown Bridge Road, Covington. Date: April 23
Violations: Spray wand stored down in sink throughout inspection. Water line leaking under hand sink up front. Employee jacket hanging on onions bag.
· Dunkin Donuts, 97-A, 3153 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: April 24
Violations: Most recent inspection report not posted. Hose end in mop sink.
· Five O'Clock Somewhere, 86-B, 7191 Turner Lake Road, Covington. Date: April 24
Violations: Employee drinks in food prep area. Consumer advisory not posted on menu correctly. Chemicals stored next to food in dry storage area. Most recent inspection report not posted. Employee purse and coat with food items. Lights not shielded in storage area.
· Outback Steakhouse, 75-C, 1188 Dogwood Drive, Conyers. Date: April 28
Violations: Uncovered drink by ice bin at drink dispenser. Mold-like substance in ice maker. Observed ribs cooling not time marked and not holding at the proper temperature. Knife stored between salad prep cooler and work table. Damaged Lexan lids still in use. Damaged inside of Victory refrigerator. Damaged fryer baskets still in use. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another.
· Ficquett Elementary School, 77-C, 2207 Williams St., Covington. Date: April 29
Violations: No handsink near three-compartment sink in back kitchen area. Tea nozzle dirty. Microwaves dirty on inside. Food not being hot held properly. Employees wearing watches - can only wear plain band ring on arm and fingers. Paint is coming off Vent-A-Hood. Mixer is dirty at splash guard area. Backflow prevention not done correctly on drain lines of vegetable sink and three-compartment sink.
· Luigi's Pizza, 99-A, 4143 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: April 29
Violations: Bathroom door self-closing device broken.
· Wings Unlimited, 90-A, 10724 Covington Bypass, Covington. Date: April 29
Violations: Food not being cold held properly. Freezer not cooling properly. Dirty timers, dirty clothes pins, dirty fryer basket handles, bowls dirty on outside, shelving dirty, dirty Vent-A-Hood.
· Captain's Table, 95-A, 1815 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Date: April 30
Violations: Only hand sanitizer at handwash sink. Grease filters soiled with dust/grease build-up.
· East Newton Elementary, 91-A, 2286 Dixie Road, Covington. Date: May 1
Violations: No hand sink out in kitchen area. Sanitizer too weak in buckets. Mold inside of ice machine at top. Four-compartment sink and hand sink not sealed to wall. Condenser line in both walk-in freezers leaking.