The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Smoothie King, 96-A, 2239 Highway 20, Conyers. Date: June 5
Violations: Handwash sink in kitchen area not properly supplied with paper towels.
· The Zodiac/Club 908, 91-A, 908 Commercial St., Conyers. Date: June 5
Violations: Bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods.
· Zaxby's, 100-A, 1871 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Date: June 9
· Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits, 1648 Georgia Highway 138, Conyers. Date: June 9
Violations: Chicken not being held at the proper temperature. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another. Storage area under dining area soda dispenser soiled with syrup.
· Silver Dragon, 99-AA, 1889 Georgia Highway 138, Conyers. Date: June 9
Violations: In use utensils stored improperly. Knives stored between table and other equipment. Ice scoop stored in ice maker and ice bin.
· Tony's Deli-Wings & Seafood, 96-A, 1745 Georgia Highway 138, Suite C-6, Conyers. Date: June 10
Violations: Items in walk-in cooler not date marked as required.
Violations: Paper towels not readily available at handwash sink by grill line. Ceviche served with raw fish, no parasite destruction documentation provided. Raw uncooked eggs stored in same cold holding compartment with ready-to-eat foods. Hot dogs and cheese not stored covered in walk-in cooler. Foods listed on menu that can be served undercooked or raw are not properly identified on menu. Precooked beef and potatoes not cold holding at the proper temperature. Correctly date marked refrigerated, ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous foods not discarded with-in seven days from date of preparation. Working containers used for storage of chemicals from bulk supply not clearly labeled with common name of material. Food (dried peppers) not stored six inches off of floor. Hot water not available at frond handwash sink. Air gaps not installed at vegetable prep sink or at compartment washsink. Personal items (purse) not stored in designated place.
· Thomas Country Buffet, 45/U, 4122 Emory St., Covington. Date: 05/23/09. Violations: Employee handling sanitizer cloth and wiping down counters then started prepping food (handling rolls) with no hand wash; some employees did not wash hands during inspection although they were working with food; employees not washing hands between glove changes--employee must wash hands at proper times. No hand sink in dishwashing and food prep area of kitchen -60 days to install hand sink. Raw food (chicken, beef) stored over potatoes in walk in cooler--must store food properly. Employees sanitizing tables with one sani. cloth--must sanitize using approved methods--refer to GA food manual. Sanitizer was weak in 3 compartment sink (did not register on test strip)-CL should be at 50-100 PPM. Mold in ice machine in back--need to clean-wash, rinse & sanitize. Food not being cold held properly-must cold hold food at 41F or cooler. Food not being hot held properly-must hot hold at 135F or warmer. Food not being cooled properly-must cool food from 135F to 70F within 2 hours at 70F to 41F in four hours--refer to temps on page 2 of inspection report. Not date marking foods--must date mark foods held more than 24 hours properly-refer to food manual. Chemical bottles not labeled--label with common name. Chemicals stored over vegetable sink --must store chemicals properly. Sanitizer bucket too strong (over 200 PPM) must keep at 50-100 PPM. Bulk storage containers not labeled--must label with common name if not easily recognizable. Lemons sitting out on counter (not protected) must protect from contamination. Bowls not stored inverted--must invert or cover to protect. Food stored on floor in walk in cooler--must store 6" off floor. Sanitizer bucket stored on floor, wet wiping cloths on counters--must keep cloths in sanitizer when not in use and keep sanitizer buckets stored off floor away from food or utensils. Storing bowls & cups as scoops in sugar & flour and other food item containers--must use scoop with handle and keep handle out of food product. Not air dry utensils before stacking--must air dry first. Reusing single use items--must not use reuse single use items. Employee with gloves on handling sanitizer cloths then touching rolls with no glove change and hand wash--must change gloves and wash hands at proper times. Walk in cooler not cooling properly--fix/repair. Door gasket on walk in cooler missing and worn out--replace gasket. Leak in walk in cooler--fix leak from condenser unit. Freezer door does not close properly--fix door. Vent-a-hood dirty, sugar and flour containers dirty--need to clean items. No lids on dumpster--replace top lids--30 days to fix. Ceiling dusty in kitchen--clean, raw wood use for shelving-need to seal/paint; flooring torn in coke dispenser area--need to replace lanoleum flooring; paint peeling off walk in cooler ceiling--repaint ceiling. Flies in back area, no screen door on back, must control insects.