0

Fireworks at horse park cause brush fire

CONYERS - Fallout from the fireworks during the city of Conyers' Fabulous Fourth festival caused a brush fire after the show Saturday night near the Georgia International Horse Park.

Spectators noticed the flames coming up from the north of the horse park off of Costley Mill Road shortly after the fireworks ended at about 10 p.m. A Rockdale County Fire Department unit was assigned to the fireworks show and was able to contain the flames to an area near the old, wooden Olympic rings.

RCFD Deputy Chief Mike Lee said it took firefighters about two hours to control the fire. A containment line was dug around the area; however, firefighters were called to the scene at about 5 a.m. Sunday following reports from passersby that the fire had flared up.

Lee said the fire was completely extinguished after about 3 to 4 hours Sunday.

No structures were in danger from the fire and no one was reported injured. Lee said it was apparent that the cause of the fire was from a combination of dry conditions and fallout from the fireworks.

There were several grass fires reported across the county over the weekend, but none caused by fireworks, Lee said. Almost all occurred at highway intersections and along Interstate 20.

Before Sunday's thunderstorms, conditions were dry in Rockdale County.

"It didn't take much, and probably (fires) were caused when somebody flipped something out of a moving vehicle," Lee said.