The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Captain D's, 99/A, 6167 Highway 278, Covington. Date: 05/08/09.
Violations: Gaskets on coolers torn or are half missing--replace gaskets/fix. Walk in freezer heat strips on door not working--have put in work order. Air curtains torn/replace/fix.
· Debbie's Deli & Cafe, 58/U, 2108 Pace St. Covington. Date: 05/18/09. Violations: Person in charge did not have basic food handling knowledge-person in charge must have food knowledge determined by questioning person in charge--need to fix or bring enrollment form for food safety, training class within 10 business days. Employee put on gloves to work with chicken and did not wash hands before putting gloves on; did not observe cook wash hands at all during inspection--must wash hands at proper times. No paper towels at handsink, front sink blocked by trash can--need to keep hand washing facilities supplied and accessible. Raw food (fish & chicken) stored next to each other touching containers above french fries in cooler--must store foods properly. Not date marking foods properly-must date mark foods properly refer to state food manual. Not labeling flour, sugar containers-must label food that is not easily recognizable with common name if taken out of original container. Wet wiping cloths stored on counter--must keep in sanitizer bucket when not in use. Sanitizer bucket stored in vegetable sink-can only use vegetable sink to handle fruit/vegetables nothing else. Not storing utensils (plates, bowls, pans) inverted or covered-need to store inverted or protected. Microwave inside is dirty--need to wash, rinse & sanitize microwave. Sanitizer weak in buckets and sink--must keep at proper levels 50-100 PPM. Reusing single use containers to hold other food--can not reuse single use items. Dirty wash/rinse/sanitize water at 3 compartment sink--need to change often to keep from food debris buildup. No test strips for chlorine-must have test strips. Dirty holders under food prep table, slicer (on top part), dirty toaster, dirty oven, dirty little oven, refrigerator gaskets dirty--need to clean all items.
· Blimpie, 91/A, 3198 Elm St., Covington. Date: 05/20/09. Violations: Food not being cold held properly-must cold hold food at 41F or cooler or use time/temp control. Food not being hot held properly-must hot hold food at 135F or warmer.
· Burger King, 90/A, 53 Highway 81 South, Porterdale. Date: 05/20/09. Violations: Documentation for chicken sticks (time control) not documentate as required. Chicken sticks were discarded and new batch labeled as required with discard time. Multiple fryer baskets are is disrepair (broken metal pieces); broken baskets present a possible physical hazard--replace all broken baskets. Walk in freezer leaking & ice builds up in the floor--repair the freezer so it does not leak.
· Depo Sports Bar, 80/B, 4122 Emory St., Covington. Date: 05/21/09. Violations: Person in charge did not have basic food knowledge-must have food knowledge-determined by asking questions. Employee washed hands at 3 compartment sink--must use hand sink only. Employee put on gloves to work with food with no hand wash--must wash hands before putting on gloves to work with food. Food outside building on shelf not protected--need to protect food from contamination. Sanitizer stored on floor (bucket)--must store off of floor and not near food or utensils. No hand wash signs at several hand sinks--must post signs. Storage shed out back has no door--install door to protect single use items from contamination. Single use cups stored on floor in shed--must store 6" off floor. No vegetable sink to prepare vegetables & fruit--60 days to install vegetable sink or buy pre-prepped vegtables and fruit. On outside of vent-a-hood vents dirty and ceiling fans are dusty--need to clean. Bathroom door not self closing--fix. Very cluttered around back of building--need to clean up and get rid of unused equipment. Wet mop stored in bucket--must hang up to let air dry. Misc. holes in walls and ceilings--need to seal all holes. Light bulb not shielded over kitche area--need to shileld lights.
· Zaxby's, 92/A, 6243 Turner Lake Road, Covington. Date: 05/21/09. Violations: No sanitizer available in 2 cloth buckets when tested --ensure sanitizer is maintaned at appropriate levels. Lemons on display not protected-shield lemons from coughs/sneezing. Observed kitchen employee with soiled apron-ensure employee clothing (aprons) are cleaned/changed when needed. Multiple fryer baskets in use in disrepair (broken)--ensure fruyer baskets are maintained in good repair to prevent a possible physical hazard-ingestion of broken metal pieces.