COVINGTON - Parents or guardians who want their children to have a chance at attending a prekindergarten program in the Newton County School System during the 2009-10 school year will need to register their 4-year-olds next week.
NCSS will open its Pre-K registration for students who will be 4 years old by Sept. 1. Unlike past school years, which have had a central registration location, this year each school will hold a registration day.
Parents whose child is zoned to attend East or West Newton Elementary Schools will need to go to their assigned schools from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Monday. Registration will be held at the same time Tuesday at Livingston and Middle Ridge Elementary Schools, Wednesday at Mansfield and Palmer-Stone Elementary Schools, Thursday at Heard-Mixon and South Salem Elementary Schools and March 4 at Oak Hill and Porterdale Elementary Schools. Registration will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday at Ficquett Elementary School, Monday, March 2 at Fairview Elementary School for Live Oak Elementary School and Tuesday, March 3 at Rocky Plains Elementary School.
Parents or guardians need to bring with them when they register their child's birth certificate and Social Security card or an affidavit form certifying their identity which can be obtained from the school or the Newton County Board of Education.
Additionally, parents need some of their child's medical forms - Form 3231, which is the certificate of immunization, and Form 3300, which is the eye, ear and dental certificate. These can be obtained through a local health department or from the child's doctor.
Parents also need to present two proofs of residency, which include an electric, gas, garbage or water bill in the name of the person enrolling the child, as well as a current lease, rental agreement or warranty deed from the purchase of a home. If a family lives with someone else or no proof of residence is available, parents can obtain an affidavit, which must be notarized, at the school or the Newton County BOE.
Once registration is over, students' names will be placed in a lottery drawing for their zoned school. Forty slots at each of the school system's 13 elementary school will be available. NCSS officials will place the first 40 students drawn from the lottery in the respective programs; the remaining student names are placed on a waiting list in the order in which they are drawn.
Anyone with questions should contact the NCSS Pre-K program by calling 770-787-1330, extension 1262. More information, including documents and requirements, is available on the NCSS Web site, www.newtoncountyschools.org.
Michelle Floyd can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SideBar: At a glance
What: 2009-10 Newton County School System Prekindergarten Registration
Who: Newton County students who will turn 4 years old by Sept. 1, 2009
When and Where:
· 3:30-6:30 p.m. Monday at East and West Newton Elementary Schools
· 3:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Livingston and Middle Ridge Elementary Schools
· 3:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Mansfield and Palmer-Stone Elementary Schools
· 3:30-6:30 p.m. Feb. 26 at Heard-Mixon and South Salem Elementary Schools
· 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 27 at Ficquett Elementary School
· 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday, March 2 at Fairview Elementary School (for Live Oak Elementary School)
· 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 3 at Rocky Plains Elementary School
· 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 4 at Oak Hill and Porterdale Elementary Schools
More Information: NCSS at 770-787-1330, ext. 1262 or www.newtoncountyschools.org
· Student's birth certificate
· Student's Social Security card or a signed waiver
· Form 3231 - Certificate of Immunization
· Form 3300 - Eye/Ear/Dental Certificate
· Proofs of residence or notarized affidavits:
- Electric, gas, garbage or water bill in the name of the person enrolling the child
- Current lease, rental agreement or warranty deed from the purchase of a home
Source: Newton County School System