Lady Bulldogs win soccer opener 2-1
Rockdale boys hammered by Eagle's Landing 6-0

CONYERS - The Rockdale soccer squads kicked off the season with a split at home Monday evening at Reid Stadium against Eagle's Landing.

In the girls game, the Lady Bulldogs (1-0 overall) prevailed 2-1. Later, the Rockdale boys were blanked 6-0.


Rockdale 2, Eagle's Landing 1

Rockdale first-year head coach Alf Holst recorded his first win of the season in his first attempt.

"It's pretty excellent," Holst said of the victory. "I was expecting a real tough game, and we pretty much got a real tough game. They came out playing hard, but we played as a team and we moved the ball well."

After a slow start - one that found each team in the other's territory for roughly half the time - the Lady Eagles struck first with 12:51 left in the first half after a goal by Sherali Yadow.

But just 2:32 later, the Lady Bulldogs tied it 1-1 thanks to a goal by sophomore midfielder Tiffany Morris. It was set up by senior Rebecca Carlin, who kicked the ball off the goalpost before Morris dumped it in for the score.

"Honestly, that's where the team chemistry part comes in," Holst said of his squad's ability to counter, "but I was glad that our girls stuck together. That (goal) was just miscommunication on our part."

Rockdale recorded twice as many shots on goal (six) than Eagle's Landing (three) after the opening 40 minutes of play.

Both teams squandered opportunities to score during the opening 10 minutes of the second half. For Rockdale, a wide-left shot by Nicole Young with 38:50 remaining and a high kick by Morris at the 35:40 mark yielded nothing.

The Lady Eagles missed their chance to take the lead on a corner kick with 30:15 left.

Rockdale took advantage with 21:44 remaining on a goal by junior midfielder Lauren Coursey to give the Lady Bulldogs a 2-1 lead.

Juniors Emily Boyer and Lindsay Geise each recorded one assist.


Eagle's Landing 6, Rockdale 0

The Eagles tallied five goals in the second half alone to complete the shutout.

Eagle's Landing struck first with 27:07 left in the opening half after a chip shot by Luis Reyes.

That was all the scoring the first half yielded, as the opening 40 minutes of action proved to be a defensive effort on both sides.

Each team registered just three shots on goal in the first half.

Rockdale goalkeeper Orlando Duggan made a superb save in the opening five minutes of the second half, but that was the last of the highlights for the Bulldogs.

Eagle's Landing made it 2-0 at the 30:41 mark in the second half as Victor Norris found the back of the net.

Pierre St. Amour made it 3-0 with 27:49 remaining after an assist by Danny Guevara.

Just 1:28 later, the Eagles led 4-0 after a goal by Taylor Greene.

Camillo Cabellero made it 5-0 after finding the back of the net with 24:52 left.

With 3:36 remaining in the game Justin Brantley added another goal for good measure.

For the Eagles, half of their overall shots on goal (12) resulted in points. Duggan finished with five saves.

Jason Murdock can be reached at jason.murdock@rockdalecitizen.com.