Woman sentenced in Waffle House robberies

CONYERS -- The woman charged in a string of Waffle House armed robberies last summer was given a five-year sentence.

Jocelyn Thomas pleaded guilty Friday afternoon before Chief Superior Court Judge Sidney Nation.

Thomas was charged with criminal attempt to commit armed robbery of the Waffle House on Ga. Highway 138 at Sigman Road on July 10, 2008. She was one of four people arrested for that armed robbery and two others at the Waffle House at Sigman Road and Interstate 20.

According to court documents, Thomas was an accomplice to armed robberies also involving twins, Jerry Lee and Terry Lee Skipper.

Rockdale County Sheriff's Office deputies had staked out the Waffle House restaurant at the time as they were dealing with a string of similar armed robberies.

Deputies stopped two suspicious individuals as they approached the restaurant. The two were later identified as Jerry Skipper and Thomas. Jerry Skipper had a 9mm handgun at the time of his arrest and wore a disguise with colored hair extensions similar to those worn by the man who robbed the Waffle Houses the previous week.

Jerry Skipper plead guilty to armed robbery in April and was sentenced to 20 years with 15 years to serve in prison on armed robbery charges.

Jerry Skipper's twin sister, Terry Skipper, was convicted on one count of criminal attempt to commit an armed robbery and was accused of driving her brother and Thomas to the Ga. 138 Waffle House.

Terry Skipper was sentenced to 12 years with 71/2 years to be served in prison.

In other court news, jury selection will begin Monday, with trials to possibly also start this week in Rockdale County Superior Court, including an arson case.

Kenneth Warbington is charged with two counts of arson in the first degree in connection with a domestic dispute with his girlfriend.

Warbington will also be tried for allegations that he beat his girlfriend on Dec. 29, 2008 with a cane, striking her arm and back and leaving bruises and redness, according to court documents.

The arson allegedly occurred on April 8, when Warbington poured gasoline on the steps leading to his girlfriend's porch and the ground surrounding the trailer on Twin Oaks Drive.

According to the indictment, Warbington lit newspapers and tossed them on the steps.