COVINGTON - After lots of hard work raising money and then staying up for Friday's all-night event, Newton County Relay for Life participants know it was all worthwhile.
According to an e-mail sent out from Relay For Life of Newton County, this year's event raised $250,000.
"The number is huge in the fight against cancer," read the e-mail. "With the money raised at Relay we are working toward an important goal - a future without cancer."
Sponsors include Newton Federal Bank, Newton County Radiation Therapy, Internal Medicine of Newton County, SSI, Bank of North Georgia, F.C.M. Group and SRG Global.
The organization reminded those interested in donating that donations can still be turned in through Aug. 31.
Rockdale County's Relay for Life is scheduled for 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. Friday and Saturday at the Georgia International Horse Park, 1996 Centennial Olympic Parkway in Conyers. More information is available by calling American Cancer Society representative Michelle Meyer at 404-582-6114 or e-mailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SideBar: Contest winners
The organization named several winners in contests held in conjunction with the fundraiser:
· Best campsite: Heard-Mixon Elementary School (SS Minnow)
· Best theme: Fairview
Elementary School (SpongeBob)
· Best costume: Mansfield Elementary School (Scooby Doo)
· Best T-shirt: Ficquett Elementary School
· Best banner: Indian Creek Middle School (Amazing Race)
· Best onsite food fundraiser: Savage Sandspurs (Spam/Pineapple Kabbos)
· Best onsite fundraiser (non-food): Red Oak (Karaoke & Dancing)
· Top dollar online team: Newton Federal Bank ($3,325)
· Top dollar overall team: Palmer Stone Elementary School ($16,243)
· Top dollar large church: First Baptist Church ($4,674)
· Top dollar small church: Porterdale Baptist ($11,720)
· Top dollar elementary school: Ficquett Elementary School ($8,851)
· Top dollar middle school: Indian Creek Middle School ($6,112)
· Top dollar high school: Newton County High School ($8,892)
· Top dollar small business: Newton County BOE ($4,432)
· Top dollar middle business: Newton Federal Bank ($5,635)
· Top dollar large business: Snapping Shoals ($10,100)
· Top dollar industry: Bard ($8,129)
· Top dollar family/friend team: Miles for Michala ($6,803)
· Top dollar individual Online: Paul Lewis ($1,000)
· Top dollar individual: Jackie Brown ($7,173)
· Spirit of Relay: Oasis Faith Walkers
· Miss Relay: Miles for Michala (John)
· Captain Courageous: Pam Moss (CPS3, Committee, Team Captain)
· Rookie team of the year: Lendmark ($15,578)
· Baby buggy: Mount Pleasant UMC