The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Barksdale Elementary School, 100-A, 596 Oglesby Bridge Road, Conyers. Date: March 10
· Pizza Hut - Target, 100-A, 2195 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers. Date: March 11
· Starbuck's - Target, 100-A, 2195 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers. Date: March 11
· Papa John's, 97-A, 3553 Ga. 20 South, Conyers. Date: March 11
Violations: Employee observed wearing brackets while preparing food.
· J.H. House Elementary School, 100-A, 2930 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers. Date: March 12
· Hightower Trail Elementary School, 100-A, 2510 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers. Date: March 12
· Edwards Middle School, 99-A, 2400 Stanton Road, Conyers. Date: March 13
Violations: Observed soiled utensils stored with clean utensils.
· Memorial Middle School, 96-A, 3205 Underwood Road, Conyers. Date: March 16
Violations: Observed prep sink used for soaking pans. Soiled utensils stored with clean utensils.
· Pony Express, 70-C, 1852 Ga. Highway 11, Mansfield. Date: March 16
Violations: No handsink at front area. Employee with gloves on handling raw eggs then handled bread and cheese. Storing raw food (sausage, bacon, beef) next to ready-to-eat foods (smoked sausage, lettuce, ham). Employee did not sanitize thermometer probe before inserting into food. Microwave dirty at top. Not date marking food - must date mark all potentially hazardous food with consume-by date. Thawing beef liver in sink without no running water or submerging in water. Employee not changing gloves between handling raw eggs and ready-to-eat food. Vent-A-Hood dirty. No splash guard on hand sink between vegetable sink and three-compartment sink. Rust on shelving in single-door reach-in cooler. No test strips for sanitizer. Area beside building cluttered with equipment. No cove molding behind microwave area.
· Quik Chick, 54-U, 6158 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: March 16
Violations: No handsink in back kitchen area. No health policy. Employee drinks in food prep areas. Employee washing hands at four-compartment sink. Employees washing dishes were washing, sanitizing and rinsing - must go wash, rinse then sanitize then let dishes air dry. Mold growing in top of ice machine. Sanitizer (bleach) too weak. Food not being cold held properly. Food not being hot held properly. Not cooling chicken wings properly - do not just let sit out to cool at room temperature. Improper strength of sanitizer in bucket. Not labeling all bulk storage containers. Employee thawing chicken in sink. Scoops with handles stored down in food with handles in product. Reusing single-use items. Walk-in cooler not cooling. Walk-in freezer leaking at condenser. No vegetable sink. Ice machine door has cracked plastic on inside. Ice machine door does not close properly. Reach-in cooler leaking water. Reach-in cooler has floor rusting out and other miscellaneous items. Walk-in cooler has very rusted floors. Walk-in cooler has rusty and dirty shelves. Dirty fans and covers in walk-in cooler. No backflow prevention on outside spigot. Handsink leaking on cold water side. Dirty around Dumpster and it has no plug in drain, also keep side doors closed. Floors dirty.
· Salem High School, 99-A, 3551 Underwood Road, Conyers. Date: March 16
Violations: Deteriorating fryer baskets still in use.
· C.J. Hicks Elementary School, 100-A, 930 Rowland Road, Conyers. Date: March 17
· Fat Daddy's BBQ, 94-A, 3300 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington. Date: March 17
Violations: Coke machine dirty where nozzles connect to the machine. No backflow on drain lines of three-compartment sink, meat sink or vegetable sink.
· Rockdale County High School, 100-A, 1174 Bulldog Circle, Conyers. Date: March 17