The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· New China 80-B, 9162 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: Aug. 25
Violations: Chicken held out of temperature control. Labels not on bulk storage containers. Improper containers used for sugar. Oil and rice stored on floor. Wiping cloths not kept in sanitizer. Gaskets on walk-ins dirty.
· Chuck E. Cheese's, 96-A, 1530 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: Aug. 27
Violations: No employee health policy.
· Sonic Drive In, 91-A, 4479 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: Aug. 27
Violations: Pre-cooked hamburger patty and cheese not holding at the proper temperature.
· Morningside of Conyers, 93-A, 1352 Wellbrook Circle, Conyers, Date: Aug 29
Violations: Ice machine with mold-like debris. Employee serving food with jewelry on.
· Plain Nuts, 82-B, 1147 Washington St., Covington, Date: Aug. 29
Violations: Roast beef, turkey and ham out of temperature. Dish soap stored with spices. No digital thermometer. No backflow devices at sink drains.
· Plain Nuts - Recheck, 93-A, 1147 Washington St., Covington, Date: Sept. 3
Violations: No backflow prevention at sink drains. Employee drink in food prep area.
· American Deli, 48-U, 1360 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: Sept. 2
Violations: Person in charge not observed performing duties as required. Employees observed attempting to wash hands at front handwash sink, where no soap was available. Employee attempting to put on gloves without washing hands. No soap available at front handwash sink. Onions and celery already prepared stored uncovered in walk-in cooler. Knives stored in soiled knife holder. Dressing requiring refrigerations stored on counter. Box of raw chicken stored in walk-in cooler at the improper temperature. Food items in walk-in cooler date marked as required. Employee drinks in a bottle stored in ice bin. Wiping cloths on cutting board not stored in sanitized solution as required. Ice scoop stored with handle in product in ice bin. Dispensing utensil stored with handle in product. Soiled utensils stored with clean utensils. Knives stored in soiled holder. Door gasket seals of reach-in prep cooler soiled. Reseal cove base to wall where necessary.
· American Deli - Recheck, 100-A, Date: Sept. 3
· Conyers Middle School, 96-A, 335 Sigman Road, Conyers, Date: Sept. 2
Violations: Frozen hamburger meat being thawed in four-compartment sink in standing water, not running water as required. Door gasket seals of reach-in coolers are damaged. Door gasket seals of units soiled. Four-compartment sink being used to thaw ground beef.
· Pine Street Elementary School, 100-A, 960 Pine St., Conyers, Date: Sept. 2
· Papa John's Pizza, 90-A, 3533 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
Violations: Employee drink in unapproved container stored in prep cooler with products. Front hand wash sink not easily accessible due to boxes stacked near by. Fly swatter stored on shelf with food product. In-use utensils stored with handles in product. Wet utensils observed stored stacked on one another. Warewash sink used to store prepared product. Good thorough cleaning needed throughout facility. Vent fans on oven need cleaning.
· General Ray Davis Middle School, 96-A, 3375 E. Fairview Road, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
Violations: Prepared product held past seven-day limit. Out-of-date milk.
· Lorraine Elementary School, 100-A, 3343 E. Fairview Road, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
· Barksdale Elementary School, 96-A, 596 Oglesby Bridge Road, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
Violations: Slicer stored clean with food debris.
· Frontera Mex-Mex Grill, 1820 Ga. Highway 20, Suite 156, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
· Quiznos, 86-B, 2239 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: Sept. 3
Violations: No person in charge at time of inspection. Employee observed eating in food prep area. Proper date marking not being utilized. Need handwash signs at all hand sinks. Cutting boards unclean with deep cuts.
· CiCi's Pizza, 78-C, 1503 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: Sept. 4
Violations: Towel stand in front handwash sink. Ice machine maker has mold debris build up. Several cold items not holding at the proper temperature. Open can of sardines stored in original container. Inside of prep cooler has debris. Paper towel dispensers have debris build up on handles and outside of enclosures. Broken tile in kitchen needs replacing. Damaged wall in mop sink area. Damaged table for hot holding items needs repairing or replacing.
· CiCi's Pizza - Recheck, 100-A, Date: Sept. 16
· Peeks Chapel Elementary School, 100-A, 2800 Avalon Parkway, Conyers, Date: Sept. 4
· Bruster's Ice Cream, 100-A, 3184 Salem Road, Covington, Date: Sept. 5
· Big Daddy's Tropicals, 100-A, 3271 Salem Road, Covington. Date: Sept. 5