The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Village Deli, 77-C, 1124 Monticello St., Covington, Date: Aug. 5
Violations: Eggs stored above cherries. Coke nozzles dirty. Sanitizer stored in food prep area. Split pea soup cooled at room temperature. Chicken thawed at room temperatures. Single-service items stored on floor. Used gloves to rinse out a wash rag and handled lettuce. No backflow prevention at plumbing; hand sprayer below sink level.
· Ozone Bar and Grill, 100-A, 8185 Old City Pond Road, Covington, Date: Aug. 6
· Subway, 95-A, 13015 Brown Bridge Road, Covington, Date: Aug. 7.
Violations: Personal items stored in food prep/food storage area. Stainless bowl not air dried before storing. Drink lids stored upside down. Condiment storage bin not clean.
· Henderson, 89-B, 11885 Ga. Highway 36, Covington, Date: Aug. 8
Violations: No hand sink at cook line. Shrimp improperly thawed. Onions stored on floor in walk in. Cups stored wet at waitress station stacked.
· Cherokee Run Country Club, 62-U, 1595 Centennial Olympic Parkway, Conyers, Date: Aug. 13
Violations: Person in charge did not demonstrate the required knowledge. Person in charge not aware of employee health policy. Roast beef stored over ready-to-eat foods. Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Prepared items not properly date marked. Items held past seven days of shelf life in walk-in cooler. Bulk items stored in unlabeled bin. Employee was wearing more rings than allowed. Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Knives for cutting sandwiches stored between equipment that was soiled in area stored. Utensils stored next to hand wash soap dispenser and under paper towel dispenser. Employee picked up tongs from floor then returned to work without changing gloves. Three-compartment sink will not hold sanitizer in bowl. Oven surfaces inside soiled. Outside soiled. No sanitizer available in dish machine.
· Cherokee Run Country Club, -Recheck, 92-A, Date: Aug. 22
Violations: Consumer advisory not on menu or tables. Employee wearing watch while preparing food. Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another.
· Caribbean Zest, 100-A, 52 S. Broad St., Porterdale, Date: Aug. 18
· Red Lobster, 91-A, 1560 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: Aug. 18
Violations: Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Wet utensils observed stored stacked on one another. Fryer baskets deteriorating. Door gasket seals of reach-ins damaged. No hot water available at prep sinks. No drain plug in dumpster.
· Rockdale County Jail, 93-A, 911 Chambers Drive, Conyers, Date: Aug. 18
Violations: Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Old food debris built up in dish machine. Reach-in cooler not holding proper temperature. Styrofoam cup used as dispensing utensil stored directly in product. Wet utensils observed stored stacked on one another.
· Betty's Home Cooking, 96-A, 2210 Salem Road, Conyers, Date: Aug. 19
Violations: Mold-like substance observed in ice maker.
· Cracker Barrel, 90-A, 1182 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: Aug. 19
Violations: Employee observed not washing hands before changing gloves. Thorough cleaning of facility is needed.
· Daruma Japanese Steakhouse, 60-U, 1920 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: Aug. 19
Violations: No documentation of parasite destruction. Raw steak stored over prepared vegetables. Raw steak stored over shrimp. Raw shell eggs stored over dressing. Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Hibachi knives stored in soiled holders. Rice stored at an improper temperature. Unlabeled product in cook area. Spoons for customers stored with handle down, ice scoop stored in ice. Wet utensils observed stored stacked on one another. Outside equipment soiled. Door gasket seals of several reach-in cooler damaged. Grease filters in vent hood caked with old grease.
· Daruma Japanese Steakhouse, Recheck - 99-A, Date: Aug. 26
Violations: Wet utensils observed stored stacked on one another.
· Sodexho Management, 97-A, One Lithonia Way, Conyers, Date: Aug. 19
Violations: Open can stored with product in it.
· McIntosh Trail, 100-A, 7188 Turner Lake Circle, Covington, Date: Aug. 21
· Atlanta Pizza & Gyro, 74-C, 1565B Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: Aug. 22
Violations: No handwash sink in prep/utensil wash area. Dish machine not dispensing sanitizer. Items in walk-in cooler not holding at the proper temperature. Meat sauce not holding at the proper temperature. Proper cooling method not used for meat sauce. Walk-in cooler not maintaining the required temperature. Employee observed wearing watch while preparing food. Ware washing sink observed being used to wash vegetables.
· Seven Gables, 92-A, 1897 Ga. Highway 20, Conyers, Date: Aug. 22
Violations: Dish machine not dispensing sanitizer. Consumer advisory not available on menu.