The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· El Charro, 80-B, 3165 Elm St., Covington. Date: Sept. 24
Violations: No handsink in bar area. Eggs stored beside produce. Plastic lids stored wet after washing. Cheese dip cooling method was improperly observed. Wet wiping cloths stored in food prep area. Oil stored on floor.
· Maracas, 100-A, 3511 Salem Road, Covington. Date: Sept. 24
· Pizza Hut, 87-B, 4168 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: Sept. 29
Violations: Ice machine not clean on interior. Sugar and Parmesan cheese stored uncovered underneath tea urn table. Wiping cloths stored in food prep area. Tong handle stored in salad mix. Gloves misused. Wall beneath handsink (tea counter area) and handsink bottom are dirty. Wall behind dishwasher dirty. No light shield covering lights in dry storage. Too many flies in kitchen area.
· Chick-fil-A Mobile unit, 99-A, 3130 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: Sept. 30
Violations: Repair screen that is broken.
· Amici Italian Cafe, 98-A, 1133 Church St., Covington. Date: Oct. 1
Violations: No test strips to measure sanitizers. Ceiling vents and tiles are dusty.
· New Rock Psychosocial, 94-A, 101 Kirkland Road, Covington. Date: Oct. 1
Violations: Employee drink without lid or straw in food prep area. Ice scoop handle in ice at Igloo cooler. Utensils stored wet. No test strips to measure sanitizer.
· Nick's Restaurant, 84-B, 15825 Ga. Highway 36, Covington. Date: Oct. 2
Violations: Fish stored below steak in walk-in cooler. Chemical bottles not labeled. Utensils stored wet in storage room. Glasses stored wet. Deep fryer dirty on outside. Vent hood dirty. Floors dirty behind dishwasher. Ceiling dirty on walk-in cooler.
· Popeyes, 80-B, 3112 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: Oct. 2
Violations: Glass cleaner next to front counter. Keep all cleaners out of food prep area. Employee did not wash hands after cleaning dirty trays and then handling food. Employee did not wash hands after wiping down counter and then handling food. Ice stored on floor in front of ice machine. Wet wiping cloths not in sanitizer bucket. Utensils stored wet. Microwave has broken/cracked bottom inside. Splash up above corn warmer dirty. Floor tiles broken. Ceiling vent dirty above food prep area. Floors behind ice machine dirty. Mold in mop sink area near floor,. Mops and brooms stored improperly. Repair floor tile.
· Wendy's, 100-A, 11120 Ga. Highway 142, Covington. Date: Oct. 3