The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Hong Kong King, 100-A, 6235 Turner Lake Road, Covington. Date: Oct. 10
· New China II, 79-C, 1360 Dogwood Drive, Suite 204, Conyers, Date: Oct. 10
Violations: Observed bare hand contact with ready-to-eat food. Uncovered vegetables in walk-in cooler. Expired food item in walk-in cooler. Latest inspection report not posted in the correct area. Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Wet utensils stored stacked one on another. Single-use containers used to store other food products. Soiled door gasket seals on reach-in cooler. No drain plug in Dumpster. Damaged floor tile in kitchen/prep area.
· Smoothie Cafe, 99-A, 1955 Ga. Highway 138, Suite 1000, Conyers, Date: Oct. 10
Violations: Observed employee about to reuse gloves.
· Zaxby's, 90-A, 9132 MLK Jr. Ave., Covington. Date: Oct. 10
Violations: Vegetable sink dirty. Tomato slicer and chopper dirty. Food trays not cleaned properly - need to wash, rinse and sanitize all trays, not just sanitize. Wiping cloths stored wet. Sanitizer buckets stored on floor. Utensils stored wet. Manager did not change gloves between non-food and food contact surfaces. Sprayer at three-compartment sink below rim of sink.
· Island Jerk, 90-A, 875 Flat Shoals Road, Conyers, Date: Oct. 14
Violations: Open beverage cup on shelf at hot hold unit. Proper cooling methods not followed as required. Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another. Paper towels not available in customer restroom.
· China Star, 91-A, 2870 Ga. Highway 212, Conyers, Date: Oct. 15
Violations: Beverages stored in food area. Observed non-handled utensils stored in product. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another. Single-use containers reused to store food. Soiled door gaskets seals on prep cooler.
· Hard Luck Cafe, 94-A, 2123-A Pace St., Covington. Date: Oct. 15
Violations: Sugar not labeled in container. Wet wiping cloths out on counter.
· Mongolian Grill, 83-B, 3265 Salem Road, Covington. Date: Oct. 15
Violations: Employee did not wash hands between washing dishes and serving ready-to-eat food. No employees washed hands during inspection. Insecticides stored next to chemicals. No sanitizer in buckets. Bowl (used as scoop) was stored in sugar - need to keep bowl out of sugar and use proper scoop with handles. Wet wiping cloths on counter. Utensils stored wet above sink.
· Mansfield Elementary, 73-C, 45 East 3rd Ave., Mansfield, Date: Oct. 16
Violations: Bare hand contact with bell peppers for salad. Employee drink in food prep area. Eggs stored above sour cream. Wiping cloths in food prep area. Sprayer held below rim of sink.
· Subway, 100-A, 9142-B U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Date: Oct. 16
· Piccadilly Cafeteria, 60-U, 1536 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: Oct. 17
Violations: Employees not observed washing hands as required. Mold-like substance in ice maker. Potentially hazardous food not held at the proper temperature. Rice in walk-in cooler without time of preparation marked as required. Thermometer not accurate in dessert cooler. Personal items stored with clean utensils. Soiled utensils stored with clean utensils. Wet utensils stored stacked one on another. Fryer basket deteriorating. Damaged door gasket seals on reach-in cooler. Floors in dish area damaged.
· West Newton Elementary, 99-A, 13387 Brown Bridge Road, Covington. Date: Oct. 17
Violations: Broken cove molding.