Newton girls claim thrilling win in overtime against M.L. King

COVINGTON - The Newton girls rallied from a 2-0 deficit in the second half with two goals in regulation by Claire Davis and one from Tauntiana Kennedy in overtime to beat M.L. King 3-2 on Thursday night at Homer Sharp Stadium.

Meanwhile, in the boys game, Newton couldn't stop scoring once it got started, rolling to a 6-1 victory.


Newton 3, M.L. King 2, OT

The Lady Lions (1-9 overall, 0-3 in 2-AAAAA) took the lead early as Tiah Spear scored inside the first minute of the contest.

The Lady Rams (5-4, 4-1) had several opportunities to tie the game, but M.L. King's defense was able to hold them back.

"We didn't finish and that was the problem. We told them at halftime that we're banging on the door, we're doing great things but we're just not finishing," Newton girls coach Mary Roach said. "If you keep knocking on the door, we're going to finish and we did."

Spear, once again, scored early in the second half to double Newton's deficit.

The Lady Rams closed the gap to 2-1 when Davis scored on a penalty kick with 26:05 left in the game

"Claire played out of her mind; Claire was great. Claire Davis was player of the game, period," Roach said.

Newton kept the pressure on and tied the contest with 3:12 remaining on Davis' second goal.

In overtime, Kennedy scored the game-winning goal as the buzzer sounded to end the first overtime period.

"It's our first comeback all year. It was our first team win we played well together," Roach said. "We had new people in new positions and I thought we came together very well as team in a very short amount of time."


Newton 6, M.L. King 1

The Newton boys (4-5, 2-3) played with a specific purpose against the Lions.

"We worked on trying to make control passes and letting the ballwork for us instead of us doing all the work. For some reason it finally clicked," Newton boys coach Tim Hardison said.

All of Newton's persistence paid off with 4:24 left to play in the first half when Caleb Adamo scored on a header.

Defensively, Adam Pace had his share of saves to keep Newton in the lead.

"Alex has been steady force back there and has helped us stay in a lot of games all year. The coach and I were talking and most of the goals that have been scored on us haven't been his fault," Hardison said.

The first Newton goal came with less than five minutes remaining in the first half. From there, the goals came easier and quicker as they found the back of the net four times in first 12 minutes of the second half.

Newton made it 2-0 three minutes into the second half after Jonathan Triana found the inside post on a loose ball.

The Rams increased their lead to 3-0 two minutes later when Bryan Sandler scored. Tim McGuinn got a present when he found an empty goal to make it 4-0 with 32:48 remaining.

It took the Rams four minutes to score their fourth goal of the second half by Eddie Nicolas.

While Newton's defense was solid for most of the game, it had a small glitch, allowing Marah Momdu to score with 10:47 left in the game.

Newton made it a five-goal game with 6:26 left to play when Harvey Soto passed it to Triana for his second goal.

"We're in the hole," Hardison said. "Basically, if we win out and someone in front of us gets beat then we have the opportunity to slide into that fourth (playoff) spot."

Manny Fils can be reached at manny.fils@newtoncitizen.com.