The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Chili's, 90-A, 1570 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: May 12
Violations: Open drink, stored on dishwash machine. No paper towel or soap at bar hand wash sink. Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Soiled utensils stored with clean utensils. Inside ribs smoker soiled with old debris. Fryer baskets deteriorating. Door gaskets on freezer needs repair or replacement. Outside of equipment soiled with old debris.
· Karen's International, 88-B, 2070 Eastside Drive, Conyers, Date: May 12
Violations: Procedures and records not properly maintained with a certain food item. Reach-in dessert cooler temperature holding at the incorrect temperature.
· Mad Cactus, 91-A, 2455 Salem Road, Conyers, Date: May 12
Violations: Black pinto beans in reach-in cooler not at the correct temperature. Beans not cooled with in the correct time period.
· Mamie's Kitchen, 86-B, 1294 North Main St., Conyers, Date: May 12
Violations: Milk in working refrigerator out of date. Mold-like substance in ice maker. Gasket on marketeer cooler needs replacing. Gasket on front refrigerator soiled.
· Papa John's Pizza, 98-A, 1409 Sigman Road, Conyers, Date: May 12
Violations: Current food service permit not posted. Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act and no sign on the door. Commode soiled. No covered trash container in the restroom. Repair damaged cove base.
· Azalea Gardens, 81-B, 1358 Manchester Drive, Conyers, Date: May 13
Violations: Open drinks stored on prep sink. Shell eggs in reach-in stored over prepared foods. Utensils being run through dish machine not being sanitized. Wet utensils observed stacked one on another. Dish machine rinse not reaching hot water sanitization temperature. Sides of equipment soiled.
· Shane's Rib Shack, 98-A, 2890-H Ga. Highway 212, Conyers, Date: May 13
Violations: Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another. Fryer baskets deteriorating. Sides of equipment soiled.
· Taco Bell, 98-A, 1537 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: May 14
Violations: Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another. Doors on dumpster not closed as required. No drain plug in dumpster.
· Zaxby's, 97-A, 429 Sigman Road, Conyers, Date: May 13
Violations: Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Wet utensils observed stacked one on another in storage. Fryer basket deteriorating.
· Hot Dogs, Wings, & Sweet Things, 91-A, 1264 Parker Road, Conyers, Date: May 15
Violations: Employee observed not washing hands before putting on new gloves.
· McDonalds, 95-A, 4112 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: May 15
Violations: Keep all wiping cloths in sanitizer when not in use. Utensils need to be air dried before storing. Shield lights in walk-in freezer. Air conditioner in kitchen not maintaining temperature.
· Newton Medical Center, 99-A, 5126 Hospital Drive, Covington, Date: May 19
Violations: Repair wall tiles.
· Fat Daddy's Ribs & BBQ, 90-A, 3300 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington, Date: May 19
Violations: Need towel dispenser in restroom. Do not store sanitizer above food or oven. Do not store chemicals on same shelf with food items. Need coffee stirrers to be wrapped or individually dispensed. Do not use vegetable sink to wash oven racks.
· Butcher Block Deli, 85-B, 6171 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: May 21
Violations: Do not store eggs above produce. Label sugar container. Keep wiping cloths in sanitizer while not in use.
· Chicago Billiards, 92-A, 6259 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: May 22
Violations: Keep medicine stored out of food prep area. Keep wiping cloths in sanitizer when not in use. Need coffee stirrers to be individually dispensed or wrapped.
· Dominoes, 84-B, 1065 Access Road, Covington, Date: May 23
Violations: No bare hand contact with pizza toppings. Label all chemical bottles. Do not store chemicals above food prep area. Need digital thermometer to measure temperatures.
· Zaxby's, 92-A, 6243 Turner Lake Road, Covington, Date: May 27
Violations: Do not store chemicals on same shelf with food-corrected. Keep sanitizer buckets 6-inch clearance from floor. Keep wiping cloths in sanitizer when not in use. Seal threshhold at back door. Replace cove molding missing in kitchen.
· The Squeeze Inn, 96-A, 9209 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: May 30
Violations: Label water bottle.
· Dunkin Donuts, 91-A, 3153 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: June 2
Violations: Employee drinks must have a lid and straw. Do not store sanitizer buckets directly on floor. Need choking poster in dining room. Need "No Smoking" sign at entranceway. Need to air dry all utensils before storing. Do not store coffee under plumbing fixtures. Store drink lids right side up.
· Hyde's Country Kitchen, 100-A, 3139 Ga. Highway 81, Mansfield, Date: June 5
· The Covington Diner, 100-A, 11230 Ga. Highway 36, Covington, Date: June 6
Violations: Ok to issue permit after copy of Fire Marshall report is received and fees are paid.