The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Heard-Mixon Elementary School, 97-A, 14110 Ga. Highway 36, Covington, Date: May 1
Violations: Label all bulk dry good storage.
· Island Jerk, 97-A, 875 Flat Shoals Road, Conyers, Date: May 2
Violations: Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another. No covered trash container in employee restroom.
· Hot Lanta Wings, 95-A, 2020 Eastside Drive, Conyers, Date: May 2
Violations: Bulk food items observed stored in unlabeled containers. Fryer baskets deteriorating. Vent fans in restrooms clogged with dust.
· The Oakes Family Diner, 73-C, 1040 Flat Shoals Road, Conyers, Date: May 2
Violations: Person in charge not performing duties. Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Blade of can opener soiled. Food production in sandwich prep cooler not held at the correct temperature. Working supply of eggs not date/time marked. Food items not date marked as required. Wiping cloths not stored in sanitized solution as required. No hand wash sign at front hand wash sink. Inspection report not posted in proper area. Dispensing utensil stored in product with handle in product. Wet utensils observed stacked one on another. Employee rinsed hands in four-compartment sink. Bottom of working cooler soiled.
· New China II, 86-B, 1360 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: May 2
Violations: Employee observed rinsing hands in prep sink. Wiping cloths not stored in sanitized solution as required. Dispensing utensils stored with handle in product. Non-handled dispensing utensils stored with in product. Wet utensil observed stored stacked one on another. Utensils requiring washing and sanitizing stored on prep sink drain board. Employee also rinsed hands in ware wash sink before going to hand wash sink. Fryer basket is deteriorating.
· Newton High School, 91-A, 140 Ram Drive, Covington, Date: May 2
Violations: Hamburgers held out of temperature.
· Golden Corral, 95-A, 1350 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: May 5
Violations: Pan and rack used for prep stored on trash container. Wet utensil observed stacked stored one on another. Damaged fryer basket used to cook food items.
· Porterdale Elementary School, 100-A, 45 Ram Drive, Covington, Date: May 5
· Whistle Post, 93-A, 935 Railroad St., Conyers, Date: May 5
Violations: Dish machine not reaching proper sanitizing levels. Presence of flies in kitchen.
· Oak Hill Elementary School, 96-A, 6243 Ga. Highway 212, Covington, Date: May 6
Violations: Store sanitizer buckets on lower shelf.
· Rocky Plains Elementary School, 96-A, 5300 Ga. Highway 162, Covington, Date: May 7
Violations: Store medicines away from food prep areas.
· Livingston Elementary School, 98-A, 3657 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington, Date: May 9
Violations: Repair all plumbing leaks.
· R.L. Clements Middle School, 97-A, 66 Jack Neely Road, Covington, Date: May 12
Violations: Wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer when not in use.
· The Sandwich Shop, 100-A, 3730 Salem Road, Covington, Date: May 14