The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close, and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· Eastside High School, 93-A, 10245 Covington Bypass, Covington, Date: April 22
Violations: Wash, rinse and sanitize slicer. Keep handle scoop out of sugar.
· Waffle House, 89-B, 8239 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: April 22
Violations: Keep beef separated from pork in walk in. Air dry cups before storing. Keep single-service containers upside down in storage.
· Sirloin Saloon, 87-B, 3132 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: April 23
Violations: Chicken and pork chops out of temperature. Must keep wiping cloths in sanitizer when not in use. Needs "No Smoking" sign at entranceway.
· Palmer Stone Elementary School, 96-A, 1110 N. Emory St., Oxford, Date: April 23
Violations: Keep scoop handle out of powdered sugar. Air dry all dishes before storing.
· East Newton Elementary School, 100-A, 2286 Dixie Road, Covington, Date: April 24
· Da Culture, 93-A, 6152 Monticello St., Covington, Date: April 24
Violations: Label all bulk storage. Need digital thermometer. Need sanitizer test strips.
· Mansfield Elementary School, 93-A, 45 East Third Ave., Mansfield, Date: April 29
Violations: Marinara out of date in walk-in. Do not store sanitizer bucket on meat prep sink.
· Island Style Cuisine, 92-A, 52 N. Broad St., Porterdale, Date: April 29
Violations: Need employee health policy. Need hand towels in towel dispenser. Need digital thermometer to measure temperatures. Need sanitizer test strips to test sanitizer. Move inspection report to proper location.
· Cosmo Joe's, 96-A, 10055 Bypass Road, Covington, Date: April 30
Violations: Need digital thermometer to measure temperatures. Store single-service articles with handles up.
· Heard Mixon Elementary School, 97-A, 14110 Ga. Highway 36, Covington, Date: May 1
Violations: Label all bulk dry good storage.
· Newton High School, 91-A, 140 Ram Drive, Covington, Date: May 2
Violations: Hamburgers held out of temperature.
· Porterdale Elementary School, 100-A, 45 Ram Drive, Covington, Date: May 5
· Oak Hill Elementary School, 96-A, 6243 Ga. Highway 212, Covington, Date: May 6.
Violations: Store sanitizer buckets on lower shelf.
· Rocky Plains Elementary School, 96-A, 5300 Ga. Highway 162, Covington, Date: May 7
Violations: Store medicines away from food prep areas.
· Livingston Elementary School, 98-A, 3657 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington, Date: May 9
Violations: Repair all plumbing leaks.
· R.L. Clements Middle School, 97-A, 66 Jack Neely Road, Covington, Date: May 12
Violations: Wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer when not in use.
· The Sandwich Shop, 100-A, 3730 Salem Road, Covington, Date: May 14