COVINGTON - Friday was the last day of the first semester of the 2008-09 school year for students in the Newton County School System.
Starting Monday and continuing until Jan. 2, students and many school staff members will not report to schools for classes, as they will be on Holiday break.
Because of the break, the Newton County Board of Education building on Newton Drive also will be closed during that time.
The BOE building will reopen to the public on Jan. 5; the schools also will reopen to staff on Jan. 5 for a Teacher Workday and Professional Learning Day.
Students will return to schools for classes on Jan. 6, when the second semester of the 2008-09 school year begins.
Schools are expected to issue students report cards on Jan. 15 for first semester work, according to the NCSS Report Card schedule.
After the Semester Break and Teacher Workday, the next student holiday is scheduled for Jan. 19 for the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, when all schools and system offices will close again.
SideBar: At A Glance
Newton County School System Holiday Calendar
· Friday: End of first semester
· Monday-Jan. 2: No school for students - holiday break
· Monday-Jan. 2: NCSS central office closed
· Jan. 5: No school for students - teacher workday/professional learning day
· Jan. 5: Central office reopens, schools reopen to staff
· Jan. 6: All schools reopen for students
· Jan. 15: Report cards issued
Source: Newton County School System