The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· RL's Off the Square, 100-A, 1113 Usher St., Covington. Date: July 15
· Mandarin Garden, 100-A, 1820 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 17
· Chianti Italian Restaurant, 91-A, 1895 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 18
Violations: Prep line cooler has several items not holding at the proper temperature.
· Dynasty Chinese, 92-A, 1823 Ga. Highway 138, Suite 300, Conyers, Date: July 18
Violations: Bleach and hand soap stored with utensils. Current inspection report not posted as required. Not in compliance with Georgia Smoke Free Air Act. Ice scoop stored in ice. Soiled utensils stored with clean utensils. Hot water not under proper pressure in restroom.
· Long John's Slivers, 98-A, 1450 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 18
Violations: Still no air gap at drain of three-compartment sink.
· The Oakes Family Diner, 81-B, 1040 Flat Shoals Road, Conyers, Date: July 18
Violations: Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Rice not held at the proper temperature. Outside equipment soiled. Cooler soiled. Diffuse vents of HVAC system soiled with dust and debris.
· Grand Buffet, 99-A, 1720 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 21
Violations: Door gasket seal on turbo air cooler damaged.
· Ramada Inn, 73-C, 1351 Dogwood Drive, Conyers, Date: July 21
Violations: Person in charge did not demonstrate knowledge of food safety principles. Paper towels not available at all handwash sinks. Mold-like substance observed in ice maker. Waffle batter out at room temperature. Pasteurized eggs requiring refrigeration left out at room temperature. Items for service on continental breakfast not protected from contamination as required. Current food service permit not posted as required. Equipment needs thorough cleaning. Good thorough cleaning needed throughout facility. Ceiling tiles need replacing. Coved base needed in some areas. Walls need attention, especially around HVAC vents. Missing grease filters need replacing.
· Evans Pharmacy, 96-C, 933 Center St., Conyers, Date: July 22
Violations: Out-of-date milk observed in refrigerator.
· La Oxaquena, 90-A, 1085 Irwin Bridge Road, Conyers, Date: July 22
Violations: Employees not observed washing hands as required. Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another. Soiled utensils observed stored with clean utensils.
· Rockdale Medical Center, 98-A, 1412 Milstead Ave., Conyers, Date: July 22
Violations: Cup stored in sugar bulk container. Ice dispensing soda dispenser has debris build up clean thoroughly.
· South Salem Elementary, 100/A, 5335 Salem Road, Covington. Date: July 30