The following food service establishment inspection reports were provided by the Environmental Health Division of the Rockdale County Health Department and the Newton County Health Department. Restaurants that score from 90 to 100 get a letter grade A; those that rate 80-89 get a B; a tally of 70-79 is a C; and below 70 is a U, or unacceptable. A restaurant scoring 70 or above is allowed to operate if there are no critical violations. If a facility is rated U on consecutive inspections, it must close and the owner must prove that it can be operated safely before reopening is allowed.
· The Element Bistro, 100-A, 936 Green St., Suite 400, Conyers, Date: July 11
· Mandarin Garden, 66-U, 1820 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 11
Violations: Certified Food Services Manager not performing duties. Employee observed not washing hands properly. Employee observed touching ready-to-eat food with bare hands. Food stored with cloth on top instead of foil paper. Not all food date marked. Toxic chemicals stored on food prep table. Personal drink cup stored above food items. Wiping cloths not properly stored in sanitizing buckets. Need handwashing signs at all handwash sink. Ice scoop to be stored outside of ice machine.
· City King Buffet, 87-B, 1665 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 14
Violations: Food in reach-in cooler not held at proper temperature. Reach-in cooler not functioning properly. Inside microwave soiled.
· Cozumel Mexican Restaurant, 92-A, 425 Sigman Road, Conyers, Date: July 14
Violations: Employee observed drinking from cup without a top or straw. Wet utensils observed stored stacked one on another.
· Crossroads Cafe, 80-B, 3637 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 14
Violations: No consumer advisory available. Reach-in cooler not holding proper temperature.. Items not date marked as required. Reach-in cooler needs repair.
· Donut King, 84-B, 6143 U.S. Highway 278, Covington, Date: July 14
Violations: Items out of temperature in cooler. Chemicals stored beside food items. Label all chemicals. Oil stored on floor.
· Greek Pizza House, 75-C, 977 N. Main St., Conyers, Date: July 14
Violations: No certified food safety manager on site. No hand towels available at handwash sink. Several items not cold or held at proper temperature. Items not date marked. Bowl of oil and vinegar salad dressing sitting out by dining area not covered and protected from contamination. Fryer baskets need to be replaced. Inspection report must be posted within 15 feet of primary entrance.
· Piccadilly Cafeteria, 81-B, 1536 Ga. Highway 138, Conyers, Date: July 14
Violations: Consumer advisory not posted. Foods on cold bar not held at proper temperature. Wet utensils stored stacked on one another. Fryer baskets are deteriorating. Floors in kitchen area are in disrepair.
· Pizza Plus, 100-A, 2465 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington, Date: July 16
· Yummy's, 94-A, 2158 Ga. Highway 81 N., Oxford, Date: July 21
Violations: Employee drink without lid and straw in food prep area. Lids and straws to be stored out of food prep area. Paint raw wood on board in kitchen. Dirty gasket on reach in cooler. Seal opening around plumbing in wall. Seal hand sink to wall with silicone.
· Yummy's, 100-A, 2158 Ga. Highway 81 N., Oxford. Date: July 22
· Sports Depo, 90-A, 4122 Emory St., Covington, Date: July 22
Violations: Label not on chemical bottles. Rice stored on floor in dry storage area. Food stored under plumbing in kitchen at three-compartment sink. Toothpicks, straws and stirrers need to be single service or individually wrapped. No test strips to measure sanitizer. Floors under fryers dirty.