Nearly 2 decades later, man leads authorities to grave
Coweta County sheriff's officers find man killed in Conn.

NEWNAN - Authorities unearthed a shallow grave in an isolated and wooded part of Coweta County on Tuesday and recovered the body of a man slain 19 years ago, using information from the man convicted of fatally shooting him.

Coweta County sheriff's officials removed the body of Charles W. Eagle from a 22-inch-deep grave in a rural part of west Coweta County, about 41 miles southwest of Atlanta, said Sheriff's Maj. James Yarbrough.

Eagle's body was identified by the clothing he was wearing when he was slain, as remembered by Jerry Weyman Still, the man convicted in Eagle's death, Yarbrough said.

'We found the body. We believe it is him. We've contacted the family,' Yarbrough said.

Yarbrough said some items found on Eagle's body have been sent to his family members for identification, and two spent bullets and Eagle's body were sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in the Atlanta suburb of Decatur for further analysis.

Still, 62, was sentenced on Nov. 5 to 20 years in prison after he pleaded guilty in Connecticut to the 1988 shooting death of the 47-year-old Eagle in the Starlight Motor Inn in Niantic, Conn. The two, both from Georgia, went to Connecticut to work as boilermakers.

Still said he shot Eagle in self-defense, then drove to Georgia with the body in his trunk and dumped it. Under the terms of his plea agreement, Still promised to work with police to help find Eagle's body in return for the state reducing his prison sentence by five years.

The Newnan Times-Herald first reported that Still met investigators on Monday to help in the search for Eagle's body. The newspaper reported that Still surveyed the area where Eagle was believed to be buried, walking around slowly with a cane.

'He was trying to get his memory associated with the area. Coweta County has grown since he was there,' the investigator said.

Still also has been serving a life sentence in Bostick State Prison in Milledgeville for the 1989 murder of 27-year-old Jewell Deree Wells in Forest Park.

Yarbrough said Still led investigators on Monday to the wooded spot where he believed Eagle's body was buried and authorities found the body 'within 10 yards' of Still's description.

'We were surprised,' Yarbrough said.