0

Space heater sparks Covington house fire

COVINGTON - The bedroom and roof area of a residence on Hunt Cliff Place was heavily damaged Tuesday morning following a fire that was ignited by a space heater.

Firefighters responded to the home about 5:19 a.m. and were quickly able to contain the blaze, according to Newton County Fire Chief Mike Satterfield.

The occupants of the single story, wood-frame home were able to make it out safely and no injuries were reported.

"We're very fortunate that these people had working smoke detectors," Satterfield said.

The fire chief said that fires sparked by space heaters are a common problem during the fall when there are mild days accompanied by cool nights. He said people sometimes unwittingly allow things to be placed in front of the heaters and that when a cool night comes along, the thermostats on the heaters are triggered and a fire starts.

Joel Griffin can be reached at joel.griffin@newtoncitizen.com